Sunday, May 26, 2013

Good Garden Cafe

After hearing so many good things about the Good Garden Cafe, formerly Secret Garden Cafe, in Kenosha WI for some time now, I finally made it over there to check it out. For all the high praise it received, my expectations may have been a bit far fetched. I was expecting something amazing and the staff at Secret Garden, while they didn't deliver an amazing experience, it definitely was a good one overall. The service was adequate and I loved the decor of the place. Artwork on the walls, just a very cozy little cafe. The chairs you sit in are ultra-comfortable as well, which scored them some extra points with me.
     I ordered a half sandwich and half soup meal. I chose their tuna salad on whole grain bread and the creamy asparagus for my soup choice. The tuna salad sandwich was to be honest, average at best. It was dry and lacked any significant flavor. Not bad, but not anything out of the ordinary. The bread, however, did make up for the shortcomings of the tuna salad. It was full of great whole grain flavor, had nice texture and mouth-feel, and I'm sure was very healthy (always a plus but not a necessity for me). Moving on to the soup portion of my meal; I would rate the soup a 7 out of 10 overall with 5 being "average". The appearance of the soup left something to be desired but it packed in fresh asparagus flavor, which is one of my favorite things in the whole world. The flavor of asparagus was really intense and not messed with. I could taste the supporting ingredients like carrot and onion and a little bit of salt and pepper, but the asparagus was definitely the star. The only complaint I have about the soup is that it needed to be blended more and when the asparagus was prepped, they didn't remove enough of the woody end of the asparagus which left me picking fibrous pieces from my teeth. Definitely not appetizing but not horrific enough to ruin the dish. 
     All in all, I would rate my experience at Secret Garden a 6.75 out of 10. Again with 5 being "average", they definitely scored a solid number in my opinion. If the tuna salad would have been any better at all they would have rated much higher.

2 comments:

  1. They actually changed ownership at the beginning of the year, technically called the good garden cafe now. Obviously, your review can stand as written, just thought I'd point out the minor difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, thank you for letting me know. I had no idea. I appreciate you reading my blog and taking the time to comment on it. I hope you enjoy it and keep coming back in the future.

      Delete