Thursday, May 2, 2013

My take on some Kenosha restaurants...

I've lived in Kenosha my whole life and I obviously love food and have strong opinions about such. Just wanted to share my thoughts on a few area restaurants.

Favorites
1. Mangia Trattoria: I worked here for nearly two years and as a chef I have a great deal of respect for the Mantuano family and Jose Burgos, the head chef there. Because I worked there I know that these guys do everything the right way; top of the line and fresh ingredients and they pay attention to detail. The menu may be a bit pricey for Kenosha norms but it's all worth it. Pizzas from the wood-burning oven, which is the only one in a city that claims to have great pizza, are fabulous. Thin, crispy crusts with just the right amount of chew to the dough make these special. I recommend the Pizza Quattro Formaggi, if it's not on the menu just ask and they will take care of you. Also from the wood-burning oven, Gamberi al Sambuca, is a mainstay on the menu. Shrimp cooked in olive oil with oregano, chili flakes, and flamed with sambuca is excellent as an appretizer. Can't go to Mangia without checking out some pasta dishes; Rigatoni della Nonna is absolutely delicous. Tender pork shoulder braised in tomato sauce with rigatoni is simple yet refined. Be sure to check out the Raviolis and a nice dessert menu as well. You wont regret it.
2. Los Taquitos: I've been frequenting this place on 22nd Ave. because they have the best authentic Mexican food in town. Be sure to Al Pastor (marinated pork with pineapple), Barbacoa (steamed and shredded beef), and Lengua (cow tongue). It doesn't matter if you put any of them on a taco or torta or fill a burrito with it, I promise you won't be disappointed. Please make sure to order your tacos Mexican style with cilantro and onion, a little squeeze of lime, and some salsa verde. Cheap and delicious.
3. Big Star: Sure it's a drive-thru burger joint, but those little bastards are so damn good. Cooked in onions, smothered with oh so melty cheese. Irrestible.

Overrated
1. Captain Mike's: I've given this place numerous opportunities to cook me a Kobe beef burger correctly and I am convinced they can't. First off, with such a high quality product as Kobe, there should be no option to order it well done. When I order it rare, I want it rare; not medium-well. The macaroni and cheese dishes are ok. Velveeta cheese does has it's place in cooking but if you need it in every macaroni and cheese dish, you should learn how to cook. Sadly enough most of the general public finds their food really good. I'll open my own place sometime and show em what's up.
2. Tacos El Rey: I hate Americanized Mexican food and I lump these guys in with the likes of Taco Bell. I might get murdered for saying they're overrated but oh well. THEY ARE. If you want some Mexican food check out Los Taquitos or La Fogata. 

Honorable Mention
La Fogata, Soon's Sushi, Ashling on the Lough.


Also if you think any chain restaurant should be in the favorites or honorable mention categories, get a clue.

Please check out:
www.kenoshamangia.com
www.ashlingonthelough.com or check either of them out on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment