Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Grilled Ribeye Steak with Avocado/Lime Vinaigrette and Cumin Home-Fries

I am hosting a dinner party at my house on Saturday June 29th and I am trying to decide what to make. I will be doing three courses plus a friend is making a dessert. I want to try and source as many ingredients as I can from local farmers' markets and want as many organic products possible. This dish is what I am planning on serving for the entree portion of the meal. 

Grilled Ribeye Steak with Avocado/Lime Vinaigrette and Cumin Home-Fries
Note: The way that I cook, I don't use measurements, I just go by look and feel and most notably: taste. I have approximated the measurements and they should be very close but I encourage you to taste as you cook and add things to your liking.

1. Begin by seasoning both sides of your steaks (4) with salt and pepper; let them sit out and come to room temperature. Cold meat does not cook evenly. 
2. Next, dice whatever kind of potato (5) you like and par-boil them. Basically cooking them about three-quarters of the way through. Set aside.
3. For the vinaigrette: begin by removing the pits from the avocado (1), mince shallots (1 Tbs.) and garlic (1 Tbs.), chop cilantro (1/3 c.), and juice your lemons (1/4 c.) and limes (1/4 c.). Be sure to drizzle the avocado with a little lime juice to prevent oxidation.
4. In a food processor or blender, place the avocado, shallots, garlic, and cilantro inside and add lemon and lime juice. Pulse until they begin to become smooth and then switch to a higher speed. Season with salt and pepper. Once the mixture is smooth I like to add some sour cream (1/3 c.) and a little white wine vinegar (3 Tbs.). Once incorporated, drizzle in your olive oil (about 2 1/2 c.) until the vinaigrette comes together. Set aside.
5. For the home fries, preheat a cast iron skillet. Add butter (3 Tbs.) to the pan. Once pan is hot, add your potatoes. Season with cumin (1 Tbs.), cayenne pepper (1 tsp.), salt, black pepper, chili powder (1/2 tsp.), and curry powder (1/2 tsp.). Press the potatoes down onto the skillet to ensure crispness. Cook until the potatoes are nicely browned and crispy. Finish them with some chopped cilantro.
6. Over charcoal, grill your steaks until they are done as you see fit. I prefer mine medium-rare, but everyone has their preference on temperature.
7. Let the steaks rest five minutes and slice them against the grain of the meat. 
8. Place the home-fries slightly off-center of your plate, top them with the sliced Ribeye, and drizzle some of the Avocado/Lime vinaigrette over the dish. A garnish of chopped cilantro would work well with this dish. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment